Navigation Starts Here Skip to Content
Content Starts Here

Health Care

Moving forward we will no longer allow students to opt out of if they have OHIP coverage.  Ensuring students have medical coverage is a mandatory mandate by the ministry and to guarantee students safety, we can no longer allow exceptions.

Canada has one of the finest health care systems in the world and Canadian residents enjoy a high quality of living because of it. Canadians typically pay for their health care through the tax system however because international students do not pay taxes, they must have private health insurance.

Insurance Coverage
When you receive your insurance card, you will also receive a copy of the policy. If you are unsure what is covered by your insurance policy, do not hesitate to contact the International Department or StudentGuard directly at 1-877-USE-THIS.


Generally, all urgent care is covered by your insurance policy. If you are sick, your insurance will cover the cost of your medical care. If your condition is non-urgent, it may not be covered by your insurance policy.
To see what is covered in your policy see:


Making an Insurance Claim

While some medical providers will bill StudentGuard directly, you may have to pay for the services you receive and then file a claim to be reimbursed for your expenses. Claim forms can be picked up from the International Department or through the StudentGuard website.

Original receipts and an explanation of why you went to the doctor must be provided. The completed claim forms and receipts can be mailed to the address listed.

StudentGuard Claims:

300 John Street, Suite 610 Thornhill, Ontario, L3T 5W4

Hospitals and Walk-in Clinics Locations in the Niagara Region

In emergency situations it is important that you do not hesitate going to a hospital. Emergencies can be loss of consciousness,broken bones or poisoning.

St Catharines Site Hospital
1200 Forth Avenue, St Catharines,
L2S 0A9

Welland General Hospital
65 Third Street, Welland,
L3B 4W6

Greater Niagara General Hospital
5546 Portage Road, Niagara Falls,
L2E 6X2

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my insurance cover dental care?
Your insurance will pay up to $600 CAD for dental work for the relief of acute pain and suffering.

How long does it take to get my money back?
Typically it takes 2-3 weeks.

Am I covered anywhere in Canada?
Yes, you are covered anywhere in Canada with no restrictions.

What if I have lost or not received my insurance card?
Please contact the International Student Advisor.