Travelling Around Niagara

Moving to a new country and beginning a new academic adventure are exciting experiences that can also raise a lot of questions.

What future awaits me? What should I do first? What questions will I be asked? Will I have trouble getting into the country? How do I get from the airport to my destination? Will I make any friends?

Do not fear – Niagara College is here to help!

This webpage was designed to guide you through the beginning of your new journey at Niagara College and Canada so that you can have the best possible experience in and out of the classroom.

  • Arriving in Canada
  • Crossing the border into Canada – Canada Border Services Agency
  • Getting around (transportation)
  • Housing and settlement
  • Calling home
  • Visiting one of Niagara College’s International Centres
  • Opening a bank account
  • Getting a telephone
  • Exploring your new community

Arriving at the Airport/Port of Entry

When you arrive in Canada at the airport or land border crossing, a Government of Canada officer will meet you and:

  • ask to see your passport and/or travel documents (see the list below) and;
  • ask you a few questions to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to enter Canada.

Please note:

The officer may ask further questions about when you intend to leave Canada.
  • valid passport and/or travel document which contains either:
    • a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) OR;
    • electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If you have an approved eTA, it will be linked to the passport that you used to apply for your study permit.
  • letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit (this letter has your permit reference number which is used to issue your study permit).
  • printed copy of your Niagara College Letter of Acceptance (LoA).
  • printed copy of your Niagara College co-op work term letter (if applicable). To find out if you need a co-op permit, see the Niagara College co-op program list or contact the International Department.
  • letters of reference, or any other documents the visa office advised you to bring.
  • proof of financial preparedness; you must be able to demonstrate you have financial support during your stay in Canada – this can include your tuition receipt showing you have paid your tuition/school fees.
    • Disclosure of funds: If you arrive in Canada with more than CAN$10,000, you must inform the government officer. If you do not let the officer know, you could be fined, and your funds could be seized. This includes: cash, securities that belong to you (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills), or bankers’ drafts, cheques, traveler’s cheques or money orders.
  • Citizens or residents of the United States, Greenland, and St. Pierre et Miquelon can apply for their study permit at the port of entry with all of the appropriate documents
  • Any other documents recommended by the visa office where you applied

Carry these items and all other valuable papers, cash and traveler’s cheques, with you at all times and not in your checked luggage.

You may not be allowed into Canada if any of your documents are missing, or if any of the information on your application or letters of reference is incorrect.

Typically, after validating your documents at the border (point of entry) the CBSA Officer will:

  • will stamp your passport and/or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. As a student, you are typically permitted to remain in Canada for the entire duration of your program plus 90 days.
  • will issue your study permit and let you enter Canada. If you require a co-op work permit, they should also issue this.
  • details on your study permit are correct (name, nationality, date of birth, expiry date etc.);
  • you have been issued a co-op work permit, if needed for your program;
  • ensure your study permit includes the permission to work off campus, if eligible;
  • your passport was stamped with an entry stamp and;
  • ensure you take all your documents with you (passport, permit(s), acceptance letters etc.).

Canada Customs

When you enter Canada you can bring a reasonable amount of clothing, books, and other personal items. If you are bringing more than $10,000 CAD into the country, you must report the money. For more information, please go to Canada Border Services Agency.