On December 21, the Ontario government announced that a province-wide shutdown will begin on December 26 and will be in effect for 28 days in Southern Ontario, to help limit the transmission of COVID-19.
While the College is reviewing how this new measure may affect academic delivery, the Winter 2021 term will proceed as scheduled, with the start of classes on January 11. We can provide the following updates for the Winter 2021 term academic delivery at this time:
- All fully online postsecondary programs will proceed as scheduled.
- The following post-secondary programs will proceed with on-campus classes/labs beginning January 11 as scheduled:
- Practical Nursing;
- Personal Support Worker;
- Occupational Therapy Assistant and Physiotherapy Assistant;
- Pharmacy Technician / Community Pharmacy Assistant;
- Advanced Care Paramedic;
- Social Service Worker;
- Carpentry and Renovation Technician;
- Carpentry and Renovation Techniques;
- Electrical Techniques;
- Mechanical Techniques (Level 2 only);
- Welding Technician; and
- Welding Techniques.
- The remaining postsecondary programs not listed above that include on-campus classes/labs will move to fully online delivery for the first two weeks of the Winter term (January 11 to January 22, inclusive).
- There are some specific exceptions in trades programs, primarily in apprenticeship programs. The College will be in contact with those students directly about Winter delivery plans before the break.
- A broad range of student services will continue to be available virtually.
Pre-Apprenticeship and Apprenticeship updates
- The following programs will have their start date pushed back to January 25, with a plan for on-campus delivery beginning that day as previously scheduled:
- Automotive Service Technician Pre-Apprenticeship for Women;
- Electrician – Construction and Maintenance Pre-Apprenticeship;
- General Machinist Pre-Apprenticeship; and
- General Machinist Pre-Apprenticeship for Women.
- The following programs will begin January 4, but will move to a fully online delivery from January 4 to January 22:
- Automotive Service Technician (Level 01, 02, 03); and
- Hairstyling Apprenticeship (daytime delivery, Level 1 only).
- The following programs will begin January 4 with on-campus delivery, as previously scheduled:
- Electrician – Construction and Maintenance Apprenticeship (evening delivery Level 01, 02, 03));
- General Machinist Apprenticeship (evening delivery Level 01, 02, 03);
- Hairstyling Apprenticeship (daytime delivery, Level 2 only); and
- Metal Fabricator (Fitter) Apprenticeship (Level 02).
- The following program will begin January 11 with on-campus delivery, as previously scheduled:
- Electrician – Construction and Maintenance Apprenticeship (full-time block daytime delivery, Level 3 only).
Additional updates regarding academic delivery for the Winter 2021 term will be shared as further information becomes available, and the delivery status for all programs will be posted during the week of January 4.
All applicants and students should note that current timetables MAY be subject to change in order to comply with lockdown measures, specifically around maximum capacity. If capacity restrictions will affect your schedule (effective January 25, following the two weeks of online delivery) we will update all impacted students by mid-January.
The College also recognizes that the province will review and reassess the shutdown to determine if an extension is required.
Please note that as previously scheduled, Niagara College will be closed for the term break from December 24 to January 3 inclusive.
We continue to take steps to welcome students for the Winter 2021 term with health and safety as our top priority. We will also keep the college community informed; all updates will be posted to niagaracollege.ca/covid19/.
Thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding as we continue to monitor this quickly evolving situation.