Navigation Starts Here Skip to Content
Content Starts Here

Careers & Community Services in Canada

careers and community services in canada, niagara college international

Requirements for work in Canada

Information provided on this page from the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada website was current as of July 1, 2017.
Please refer to the link above for any possible changes after this date.
Off-Campus Work Permit Program

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off-campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break. To qualify you must:

  • have a valid study permit
  • be a full-time student
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

This permission is noted on the bottom of your study permit—if it is not there, see your ISA.

On-Campus Work

You may work on-campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if:

  • you are a full-time student at:
  • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a college d’enseignement general et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50% of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level institutions in Quebec qualify) or
  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
  • you have a valid study permit
Co-Op Work Permit Program

To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada
  • your employment must be part of your academic, vocational, or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution
  • your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study
  • you will not be eligible to work during your studies if:
    • you study English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or
    • you participate in general interest or preparatory courses
  • Post-Graduate Work Permit

    To be eligible for a post-graduate work permit:

    • you must have studied full-time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months
    • you must have graduated from:
      • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
      • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, or
      • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP), or
      • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if you are not in all programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution
    • you must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program
    • you must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma, or certificate
    • you must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit

Volunteer Opportunities & co-curricular record

The Get Involved program at Niagara College allows students to find volunteer opportunities in one location, as well as add their volunteer experiences to their Co-Curricular Records (CCR).

The CCR is used to enhance your résumé and career or academic portfolios. You can use the CCR to showcase your co-curricular involvement to future employers, graduate schools, and for grants and bursaries.


Email to request a copy of your co-curricular record.

Request my record